Choosing the right project management and time tracking software can make all the difference when it comes to your productivity, your work quality, and even your profits.
There are so many different tools out there, though, it can be hard to know which one to use. Here’s how to choose the best project management and time tracking software for your business.
Before choosing project management tools
You should first decide which type of project management software is best for your business. There are many different types of project management software, each with its own set of features.
Some project management software is designed for specific industries, while others are more general.
You should also consider what features you need and how easy the software is to use. Finally, you should compare prices to find the most affordable option.
Why companies need both project and time tracking
In order to be successful, businesses need to not only complete projects on time, but also track employee productivity. By using project management and time tracking software, businesses can see which employees are working on which projects, how much time is being spent on each project, and where improvements can be made.
Different types of project management software
When it comes to project management, there are a lot of options. But if you're looking for a tool that will help you manage your projects from start to finish and include time tracking functionality, there are a few things you should consider.
First of all, consider whether or not you want an online or desktop application. If you're working on multiple projects at once, an online tool might be best because it's accessible from any device with an internet connection.
If you only have one or two projects going at any given time, though, an offline version might be better suited to your needs—especially if it offers more robust features like task management tools or invoicing options.
Next up: timesheets! A good project management app should offer some sort of timesheet feature so that you can easily keep track of how much time each task takes and bill clients accordingly.
Finally, make sure to look for features like resource management tools that allow you to assign tasks within your team members' calendars so you can see their availability at any given time during the project lifecycle.
Most beneficial features to look for in project management tools
- The ability to track time spent on tasks and projects
- The ability to assign tasks to team members
- The ability to create and manage deadlines
- The ability to generate reports
- Integration with other software programs
- User-friendly interface
- Time tracking
- Project templates
- Task management
- Multiple project support
- Collaboration and communication tools
- Reporting and analytics tools
How to choose the best tool for your business
- Consider how you'll use the software
- Check the tool's features to ensure you'll be able to track hours, categorize them and view them in customizable reporting
- Make sure it will integrate with other tools your team uses
- Ask if there's a free trial
Once you have decided on what features you need, find the business software that meets your needs.
Tired of managing your time with spreadsheets?
You’re not alone. As a small business owner and entrepreneur, you need solutions that make your life easier, not add more stress.
Here are the basics of what you’ll want in a project management tool that includes time tracking:
- Project Management – The ability to create, manage, and organize projects as they progress.
- Time Tracking – Keep track of how long it takes your team to finish each step of a project with an easy interface or integrated timer.
- Invoicing – You can bill clients directly from the app and customize invoice templates for a professional look.
- Reporting & Analytics – Reports give you insight into how your team spends their time so you can make better decisions about what goes where.
There are a lot of project management and time tracking software options out there.
How do you know which one is right for your business?
Here are a few things to consider:
- Consider the features your team needs
- Think about what kind of reporting you need
- Think about how large your company is
- Consider whether you're working with remote teams
- Consider what your budget is
- Think about the set-up work involved
There are many different project management tools, so it's important to find the one that fits your business best.
Benefits of using a cloud-based solution
A cloud-based solution offers a number of benefits over an on-premise software solution. First, you can access your data from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection.
Second, cloud-based solutions are typically more affordable since you don't have to pay for hardware or maintenance. Third, cloud-based solutions offer more flexibility since you can scale up or down as needed.
Cost-benefit analysis of dedicated versus cloud-based solutions
When it comes to project management and time tracking software, there are two main types of solutions: dedicated and cloud-based. Both have their own set of pros and cons that you need to take into account before making a decision.
What to do before you buy a new PMS?
If you're thinking about purchasing a new project management software (PMS), there are a few things you should do first.
- Define your needs. What features are you looking for in a PMS? Make a list of must-haves and nice-to-haves.
- Research your options. Once you know what you need, start looking at different PMSs to see which ones offer the features you're looking for.
With so many project management tools available today, it's no wonder that business owners are confused about which type to choose. The most important thing you can do is find one that works for the way your business operates. After all, a tool that doesn't help your team to be more productive isn't really a tool at all.