While there are quite a few project time tracking software programs on the market, it can be a challenge to choose the one that is the best time tracking software for your business.
You want something that will help boost your productivity but also something that is simple enough to use (especially if you're not great with technology).
Here are some of the top project time tracking software programs on the market today and my recommendation for you.
Track employee work hours
Project time tracking software is a method of keeping track of the hours your employees spend on projects, and it's a way for you to get accurate data about how long your team is spending on the tasks that matter most.
It's important to track employee hours because it helps you manage your budget, and it lets you allocate resources more effectively.
You can use project time tracking software to make sure that everyone on your team has enough work to do—but not too much—and that they're getting paid fairly for the work they do.
There are many types of project time tracking software out there, but there are some things that all great solutions have in common.
They should be easy-to-use, intuitive, and flexible. They should also be able to adapt quickly as your business changes so that they stay relevant over time.
Track employee absences, such as sick days or vacations
- A number of reasons may exist for tracking employee absences, such as sick days or vacations.
- Management often tracks these absences to determine if the company needs to hire additional employees to handle work left undone by absent employees.
- Managers also track absenteeism to ensure that employees aren't taking advantage of the company during medical leaves.
- Tracking employee attendance offers many benefits for your business.
There are many reasons why you might want to track employee absences, like sick days and vacations.
Top 10 Project Time Tracking Software
Take a look at our list of the top 10 time tracking software solutions that you should consider:
1- monday.com - Track Time Reports CSATs
The Monday.com project management software is one of the best time tracking tools on the market. It is easy to use, has a ton of features, and it's free for up to 5 users!
- Easy to use interface
- Free for up to 5 users
- Track time reports in real time
- Integrates with over 500 apps including Basecamp, Asana, Trello, Google Drive and more
- Track time reports from mobile devices or desktop app (MacOS, Windows)
Monday.com Project Management Software Pricing:
The pricing for Monday.com starts at $9 per user per month for the Professional Plan which includes unlimited projects and tasks as well as full access to all features such as task management, timesheets, reporting and more.
There are two other premium plans which offer additional features such as unlimited file storage space or priority support but they come with a higher cost as well (Professional Plus $14/user/month and Enterprise $19/user/month).
- monday.com is a real-time project tracking and management dashboard for teams to manage the tasks of the day, week, or year. The grid-like design allows users to see all of their projects in a single glance.
- monday.com is currently available on Android and iOS devices, as well as on the web.
- monday.com's pricing plans start at $25 per month with a 14-day free trial.
- The software is designed with usability in mind and it’s easy to use.
monday.com is an effective task management tool that allows users to quickly and easily create boards and track projects.
- It’s an easy-to-use software
- monday.com supports multiple users, with different levels of access rights for each member.
- monday.com allows you to create and customize every aspect of your online dashboard.
- It is compatible with Zapier and has a wide variety of integrations with over 1,000 apps.
- There is an amazing customer service team who is there to help out users whenever they need it.
- The platform offers the ability to add private notes to items so you can keep them hidden from others in your group.
You can set up a time tracker on weekly or monthly basis, or simply track time on a daily basis to monitor how long you are spending on tasks, so you can see what you are working on and how much time you have spent on certain projects/tasks/customers, etc.
Read More: Top 15 Project Management and Time Tracking Software
- not the cheapest
- can take some time to get used to
- customer support could be better
- Contact Support
- No Offline Mode
- Confusing User Interface
2- ClickUp | Simple and Powerful - The Ultimate Productivity Tool
We know you're busy. We also know that you want to get things done, and do them well. That's why we built ClickUp—the ultimate productivity tool for project management and employee time tracking.
Whether you're a freelance designer or an entrepreneur working with a team of 10, ClickUp is the perfect solution for staying organized and on top of your projects.
It's a simple-to-use time tracker that allows you to easily create tasks, track hours, assign resources, and view reports—all in one place!
ClickUp is powerful enough to manage the most complex projects while staying simple enough to use every day.
Whether you're looking for employee time tracking software or project management software, ClickUp has got it covered.
- ClickUp is a project time tracking software that offers multiple views with no limit on assignees or guests, as well as great integrations
- You can choose to use ClickUp’s default views (like “Boards”) or you can create your own.
- And while you can have an unlimited number of assignees and guests, you’re limited to 100MB of storage per project space.
- This project time tracking software also has a highly customizable work environment and it gives you free access to most of its features.
- That said, this project time tracking software does not have a free plan for unlimited users, nor does it offer a free trial.
- As such, it’s best suited for small teams that don’t need much customization.
ClickUp has a lot of great features and is continuously updating based on feedback from its users
- Clickup is good for small and large teams alike.
- Clickup has a great user interface because it's easy to learn and use.
- With clickup you can view your team's workload at a glance.
- It's easy to integrate clickup with other apps like slack.
- Clickup has an intuitive drag and drop interface that makes organization both quick and easy.
- Clickup has features that make working in teams easy and more efficient.
- Clickup is perfect for agile project management.
- Clickup is a bit less expensive than other project management software platforms.
- Clickup lets you share documents, images, polls and other things that are useful for collaborating with your team.
- There are plenty of options if you want to customize the look of your clickup workspace.
Clickup is a great tool for project management and time tracking.
- Probably not the best tool to use if you're a freelancer.
- Does not integrate with Microsoft Outlook, which is a major downside for many companies.
- Some might find that that ClickUp doesn't provide them with enough flexibility and customization.
- Not built for remote employees, especially those on different time zones.
- May take some time to get used to, especially for beginners when it comes to using time tracking software.
There are a few cons and drawbacks with ClickUp, but they aren't deal-breakers.
3- Resource Management by Smartsheet - Streamline Resource Requests
Smartsheet is a project management software that helps you streamline resource requests. It's used by companies like IBM, Facebook, and Cisco to manage their projects, so you know it's a serious tool.
Smartsheet is built to handle all your project management needs.
You can use Smartsheet to track time and resources, set up task lists, collaborate with your team on projects, and use the API to build custom integrations.
Smartsheet offers three levels of pricing: free, pro (starting at $10/user/month), and enterprise (starting at $99/user/month).
The free version includes all the essential features for managing projects, but the more expensive options contain more bells and whistles.
In addition to paying for the software itself, you can also pay extra for premium features that include advanced reporting tools and priority support from Smartsheet's customer service team.
Resource Management by Smartsheet Review
- Smartsheet is a project time tracking software tool.
- It helps you manage projects and collaboratively work with teams.
- The software manages multiple projects within one platform.
- Smartsheet has worked with 130,000 companies worldwide.
- Smartsheet provides websites, mobile apps, and integrations with other popular tools.
- Smartsheet’s resource management solution provides visibility into all your team’s workloads.
- It offers a clear view of capacity and how it matches up to demand.
- Resource management enables scheduling of projects that align business goals across the entire organization.
- Smartsheet lets users create detailed reports and dashboards for performance analysis.
Smartsheet is a resource management tool that offers users quick and efficient ways to accomplish project time tracking.
Resource Management by Smartsheet Pros
- Resource Management by Smartsheet is a software tool for the resource management.
- It is used to manage the scheduling and coordination of resources
- Resource management also includes bookings and allocations.
- It is very important in project management as it ensures an optimal use of resources.
- Resource Management by Smartsheet is useful to track, share, and collaborate on your documents.
- It gives you a complete view so you can easily see who is free and when.
- The people in your organization can stay on the same page through one central hub.
- Resource Management by Smartsheet has features such as time tracking, cost tracking, scheduling, etc., that are very helpful in each project.
- Smartsheet is easy to use.
- Smartsheet can help you manage projects, track time, and manage your team's resources.
- Smartsheet makes it easy to track time for individual tasks and for the entire project.
- You can set up the system to bill clients based on your billing rate and the amount of time worked.
- You can create invoices from the data you have collected in Smartsheet.
- You can add expenses to the invoice by adding them as a line item.
- The app allows you to create reports that show how much time was spent on each task, how many hours were logged for each task, and how much money was earned for each task.
- The app has a dashboard that shows you at a glance which tasks are complete, which are overdue, and which still need to be done.
Resource Management by Smartsheet automates the process of managing resources so that you can focus more on your work.
Resource Management by Smartsheet Cons
- No free trial; subscription starts at $14/month (per user)
- Time tracking is done manually
- Unclear ownership of resources
- Disorganized resource data
- It can help you better understand how you manage your
4- GoodDay - Inspiring Work Management Platform
GoodDay, the project management software that helps you spend less time on your projects and more time on what matters.
GoodDay is a project management platform that is revolutionizing the way we think about work.
By providing employees with a platform to track their time, manage tasks, and communicate with their team, GoodDay allows businesses to increase productivity while also improving morale among employees.
GoodDay also offers a mobile app that allows users to access their task lists, message inboxes, and work reports from anywhere in the world.
The app is free for both iOS and Android devices and can be downloaded from either App Store or Google Play Store.
- GoodDay is the best project time tracking software out there.
- We've spent years working with small companies and freelancers like you to improve the way you track time for billable projects.
- GoodDay has unlimited users and unlimited clients, so no matter how much your business grows, GoodDay will be there for you.
- And unlike most time tracking software, we have fair and affordable pricing, no annual contracts or hidden costs.
- By now you might have a lot of questions about GoodDay so let's dive into some of our most frequently asked questions.
- GoodDay is web-based and works on any device with internet connection, including iPhone and Android devices.
GoodDay is the best project time tracking software out there.
- It can manage your business’s time, track projects and monitor employee tasks.
- It offers a 14-day free trial.
- GoodDay is available on the web, on Windows, Mac and Linux desktop.
- You can also use it on Android, as well as iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch.
- The Basic plan costs $4 per user per month, billed annually.
GoodDay is a project management tool that helps you improve productivity.
- No native time-tracking app
- No offline mode
- No API integration
- No desktop timer app
- Lack of customization options
- A bit expensive
- No business case feature
5- Buddy Punch - Official Site - Simple Employee Time Tracking
Time tracking software is a great way to ensure that your employees are working efficiently. However, when it comes to buddy punching, it can be difficult to know how much time you're spending on each project.
Buddy punch tracking software allows you to keep track of your employee's progress and have a record of what they have done.
This can be helpful if you need proof that an employee has been working on a certain project or if you want to keep track of their hours.
Buddy punching fraud happens when an employee punches in for someone else who isn't present at work. This is illegal and can result in serious consequences for the company.
One way to prevent this type of fraud is by using buddy punch tracking software that records all punches made by employees during the day so that managers can easily see which ones were made by who and how long they lasted (or didn't).
Buddy Punch Review
- A project time tracker that's designed for teams of all sizes and industries, from startups to enterprise companies
- Buddy Punch helps you maintain accurate records of your hours, pay employees on time and streamline timesheet management.
- Buddy Punch is a cloud-based project time tracker that helps companies with team scheduling, remote work, job costing and more.
- The software aims to save businesses money by reducing payroll errors and avoiding overpayments.
- It's ideal for small-to-midsize businesses who need to monitor employee hours on a day-to-day basis.
- With pricing options starting as low as $24 per month, Buddy Punch is affordable for most businesses.
- Buddy Punch includes many features in its basic plan, including GPS tracking, detailed reports and integration with QuickBooks.
- The system offers mobile apps for iOS and Android devices to help track employee time spent on jobs while they're in the field.
- Using Buddy Punch's web dashboard, admins can easily see live clock-in data from each remote employee or job site location in real time.
Buddy Punch Pros
- With Buddy Punch, you can input your timesheets on the go with our mobile app and rest easy knowing they are accurate.
- Our time tracking software will automatically calculate all of your deductions, including taxes.
- Whether you have hourly or salaried employees, your timesheets will be automatically calculated for you.
- You can approve timesheets as a team leader or manager and get instant notifications when someone requests time off.
- Our project time tracking software makes it easy to see where your team is spending their time and where projects are falling behind.
- Project Management Software is an essential part of our time tracking solution. Plan out your projects in a Gantt Timeline view, manage tasks and resources, track the budget of your projects, and more!
Buddy Punch's time tracking software is an all-in-one solution that will simplify managing your employees' hours and simplify payroll processing.
Buddy Punch Cons
- Can be too flexible, with no checks and balances
- Can create more work for the employer
- Doesn’t offer time-off management
- No GPS tracking
- Does not integrate with most financial software accounting packages
6- FunctionFox | Simple Online Timesheets & Project Management
Are you tired of trying to manage your projects and keep track of your employees' time? Are you looking for a simple way to keep tabs on the hours your team puts in each week?
FunctionFox is a project management software that's designed to make it easy for you to track how much time each member of your team is putting in on each project.
It's also designed to help you create invoices and manage client relationships, so that no matter who you're working with—whether it's an employee or a freelancer—you can make sure they're getting paid for the work they do.
FunctionFox was built by a team of developers who are passionate about creating tools that are simple, easy-to-use, and easy on the budget.
They've made their entire product line open source, so anyone can see what makes FunctionFox tick—and use those same principles when designing their own applications.
- FunctionFox is a cloud-based time tracking and project management tool for advertising, marketing, and design agencies.
- FunctionFox also helps with planning and budgeting of projects.
- You can track time via web browser or by using the FunctionFox app for iPhone or Android.
- The software allows you to manage client projects from start to finish.
- Project management software has become a staple in most businesses.
- FunctionFox offers a free trial of their software so that you can determine if it is right for your business.
- FunctionFox is easy-to-use project time tracking software that makes it easier for businesses to manage their finances and track their employees' time on the job.
If you are looking for project time tracking software, then it may be worth considering taking a look at FunctionFox.
- The FunctionFox time tracking software is great for project management teams.
- No matter your business size, FunctionFox can help you with your time tracking needs.
- When your employees are working from home, it is important to keep them accountable and FunctionFox allows me to do that.
- FunctionFox is a reliable and trustworthy company.
- If you're looking at FunctionFox reviews, you've probably noticed that it's most commonly used by small businesses or organizations.
- As a part of the FunctionFox team, I want you to succeed in using our product!
- The main focus of these systems is functionality, but they are also aesthetically pleasing.
- FunctionFox does not have a mobile app.
- There is no basic time tracking option for small teams.
- Analytics are limited.
- It is not easy to make modifications once the data has been entered.
7- Timesheets - Track Employee Hours Easily - HR Software
Timesheets.com is the best project time tracking software for freelancers, small businesses, and large enterprises.
It's simple—you can use our timesheet app for free, or you can schedule a demo with one of our experts to see how we can help your business track employee time and expenses more efficiently.
Our time tracking portal gives you access to real-time data so you can make better decisions about your projects and employees.
If you're looking for an employee time tracking solution that works with QuickBooks, ihss timesheets, or other accounting software, we've got you covered!
- Timesheets.com is an online time tracking software for businesses of any size. It has a free plan for one user and paid plans that include more users.
- Timesheets.com offers a mobile app, so you can enter your hours on your phone. It integrates with many other platforms you might use, including Xero, PayPal and QuickBooks Online.
- Its plans are based on how many employees need to make time entries, but you can change the number of employees included in your plan at any time. You'll pay or be refunded the prorated difference when you upgrade or downgrade.
- Timesheets.com also offers a 30-day free trial with no credit card required for its paid plans, so you can try it before signing up for a paid plan.
Timesheets.com is an inexpensive way for small businesses to start tracking employee hours and implementing time sheets.
- Time Tracking software helps organizations in a great way by managing the clockings of their employees.
- Timesheet software helps track the time spent on various tasks and activities so that you know how much time is spent on certain projects or tasks.
- A timesheet app makes it easier for businesses to keep track of the hours worked by employees.
- An online timesheet also helps you in managing payrolls and billing because all information is stored in one place.
- It also enables employees to work from any location without having to worry about tracking their time manually or through spreadsheets.
Timesheets make it easy to track the time that an employee spends on various tasks and projects so they can get paid fairly.
- Timesheets can be inconvenient.
- Timesheet software might be expensive.
- Time tracking can take time away from what you're working on.
- Internal timesheets don't help external clients.
- Timesheets don't give a full picture of what you do.
8- Bill4time - Time Billing Software
Time tracking software is a crucial part of any business. It can help you keep track of how much time your employees are spending on different projects, and it can also help you make sure that your employees are completing the tasks they are assigned.
There are many different kinds of time tracking software out there, and some of them are better than others. We've put together this guide to help you find the best employee time tracking software for your business.
- Bill4Time is a cloud-based billing and invoicing application, which allows lawyers to create and manage cases, clients, staff members and tasks. The solution can also be used by other business professionals to track time, expenses and billable hours.
- Features include client management, project management, automated billing, time tracking, payments processing and more.
- Bill4Time integrates with QuickBooks Online, Dropbox, Google Apps and several other third-party applications.
- Services are offered on a monthly subscription basis that includes support via email.
bill4time is a popular time tracking tool.
- A time tracking app that’s easy to use.
- Time tracking on the go.
- Bill4Time pricing plans for every budget.
- Your own customized invoices.
- Online time tracking for your clients.
- Client collaboration made easy.
- Cloud-based time keeping software that won’t fail you.
A polished, professional look and feel with easy client interaction.
- Time tracking is inaccurate
- Slow to load
- Limited automation
- Lacking reporting capabilities
9- Toggl - Time Tracking Software
Toggl is the best project time tracking software. It has a free plan, so you can try it out for yourself.
Toggl is a web-based solution that lets you record your activity in real-time. You can track time spent on projects, clients, tasks, and more. This can help you understand where your time goes and how much work you do each week.
You can use Toggl to keep track of time spent in the office or at home using their Chrome extension or app for iPhone or Android devices. If your team uses Slack, they have an integration available as well!
If you want to get paid hourly but don't want to use clunky spreadsheets, try Toggl's salary calculator to estimate how much money you should make per hour based on your experience level and location.
- Toggl is a powerful time tracking software that can easily manage just about any type of project on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
- The design of the website is professional and user friendly.
- The features are enhanced and the organization is aided by the addition of tags and categories.
- You can generate detailed reports to track your project's progress more thoroughly.
- Toggl offers integration with more than 100 third-party tools, including Trello and Quip.
- You will have a very solid infrastructure to work with in terms of security, privacy, scalability, and reliability.
- The best part about Toggl is its pricing plan which offers one of the most comprehensive tracking apps available today.
Toggl Track can help you keep on top of all your day-to-day tasks and activities with ease thanks to its inbuilt time tracking options and pomodoro timer feature.
- Easily track time from anywhere
- Track time on a mobile app even offline.
- No more paper timesheets
- View and track your time in real-time for all types of devices.
- Easy to bill your clients
- Generate Reports and invoices from the dashboard.
- Toggl is easy to use.
- The user interface is so simple that it lacks the depth of more complex time tracking software.
- It only has one pricing plan.
- It may not integrate with your CRM or project management solution.
10- Timecamp - Time Tracking Leader - Easily Track Time
Timecamp is the leader in project time tracking software. It's a powerful, easy-to-use tool that helps you track your time and generate reports that are organized and easy to read.
Plus, it's available on all your devices so you can keep up with your projects wherever you are.
Timecamp is the best employee time tracking software because it's flexible and straightforward. You can track your time in as many ways as you want—by task, by project, or by client—so you don't have to worry about what works best for your business.
You can also set up projects to automatically sync with your favorite calendar app so it's easy to see what deadlines are coming up when they need to be met.
It's also one of the best employee time tracking software options for freelancers because it allows you to track where your time goes without having to waste precious minutes on a clunky interface or complicated setup process.
With Timecamp, all it takes is a few clicks to get started using their Chrome extension or desktop app, which makes it super simple for anyone who wants an easy way to keep track of their hours.
- Create unlimited projects.
- Manage your projects on the go with the Timecamp app for Android/iOS.
- Assign as many users to a project as you want.
- Record time tracking manually or automatically.
- Includes access to a desktop app that can record time while you work.
- There are several free and paid third-party integrations available.
- Get screenshots and activity levels of users at any given time during a project.
- See when the user is online or offline (and track their activity).
- Bill your clients directly from within the software.
- Available in 14 languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, and Chinese (simplified).
- Import data from other time tracking services via CSV files.
- Timecamp is a project time tracking software that can help your business see where time is being spent, enable billing, and help to determine what needs to change.
- With Timecamp you can create projects for your clients and designate tasks for each project in order to keep track of time.
- You can create invoices from your tracked time and bill your customers.
- Timecamp has an easy to use platform, with the ability to monitor your team's activity without checking up on people.
Tracked time enables billing and makes it easier to determine how much time goes into a particular task or project.
- The free plan is very limited.
- No integrations on the free plan.
- No ability to set different billing rates based on employees, clients or projects (this is currently in development).
- The app and Chrome extension can be buggy.
- The Chrome extension doesn't track your time automatically.
This is the best project time tracking software out there
- You need to track time, but aren’t sure if you want free or premium time tracking software.
- You don’t just need a basic time tracker - you need tools to help with project management and invoicing too.
- You need time tracking software that can grow with your team.
- You want to know the cost of your employee time well in advance.
- You don't want to switch back and forth between different software packages just to get the job done.
- If you need a quick solution that includes all these features, it's got to be Hubstaff. It's what we're using on a daily basis and we love it!
We make Hubstaff for people just like us - busy teams with an eye on being more productive and more profitable.
Organize time entries by projects, clients, and users
- Clockify offers Project Boards and Task Lists to help you organize your time entries by projects, clients, and users.
- Just like with project boards and task lists in Trello, you can create as many categories as you want.
- Simply define what type of entries should each category have, for example all time entries for Marketing project go under Marketing board.
- When you create a new entry or edit an existing one, it will appear in that category.
- You can use categories to see how much time did someone spend on project XYZ or see how many people worked on a single project.
- Alternatively, you can create different filters in the Activity page and visualize your data in different ways.
- If you need to keep track of billable hours, Clockify also supports that feature so you can bill your clients without any extra work.
Organize time entries by projects, clients, users, or whatever makes sense for you.
Take attendance of employees by following their schedules
- With a project time tracking software like Workpuls, you can track the activity of your employees. This way you can make sure that they are following their schedules.
- Now to take the attendance of your employees you need to pay attention to the time and attendance report which will give you a clear insight into how well your employees are doing.
- If there is any employee not meeting their requirements, you can contact them. Using this approach takes up less time since you don't have to keep an eye on every single employee.
- You can communicate the issue with them and tell them how they can improve their performance by following their schedule and meeting all the requirements of the company.
- You can also give them tips on how they can improve their performance by giving them examples from their colleagues who excel at it.
There are many ways to take attendance of your employees, but one of the easiest is by using attendance tracking software that gives insights into employee's digital activity.
The bottom line is that no matter which project time tracking software you choose, you are getting a tool that will help you and your team to be more efficient.
It will allow you to analyze time spent on a project so that you can cut costs when it comes time to bill clients. It will also help you better estimate the amount of time it will take to achieve specific goals and deliverables in the future.
As management theory author Peter Drucker once said, "What gets measured, gets managed."