Time tracking software is a great way to manage your time and help you keep track of all your different tasks.
And there are a lot of freelance time tracking software options for you to choose from on the market today.
With so many options, it can be hard to know which one to go for. Here are five things I look for in freelance time tracking software.
1- Freelance time trackers are a must
Time tracking is an important part of being a freelancer. It can help you stay organized, get paid, and be more productive.
Time tracking software helps you be more organized by allowing you to keep track of how and when you work on different projects.
You can easily see which tasks took up the most time, and how much time was spent on each task.
This helps you better estimate how long tasks will take in the future — which is especially useful for bigger projects with multiple deliverables.
Time tracking software also allows you to keep track of all your hours worked so that you can bill clients appropriately. This is especially helpful if you charge by the hour or have fixed fees for projects.
Time tracking software can help freelancers make more accurate estimates for upcoming projects by seeing how long similar tasks took in the past.
If a task has never been done before, it may be hard to know exactly how long it will take — but if similar tasks have been completed before, it’s easier to predict how long they will take in the future as well.*
2- Upload client contracts and attach them to tasks
It's fairly common for freelancers to send contracts directly to their clients when they want them to review and sign the terms of their agreement.
Up until now, those documents would live outside of the task in your favorite time tracker so it was difficult to keep all of your contract information in one place.
With this update, you'll be able to attach any relevant files on a task-by-task basis.
Simply click on the upload icon in the task comment box, choose the file you want to upload and you're good to go.
You can attach as many files as you like per task and we'll even allow you to upload ZIP files that contain multiple documents at once.
This goes for anyone who uses Tickspot but is particularly useful for anyone using our Team or Enterprise plans.
3- Use project management features
- The best freelance time tracking software will also have software project management features. This helps you and your clients stay organized.
- Some of the best project management features include tasks, projects, organization, and collaboration.
- Allowing freelancers and clients to access shared files is helpful too. That way everyone has all the info they need right at their fingertips, even if they’re working remotely.
- Here are some features that you can use to keep your project on track with our time tracking software for freelancers:
- Projects - Organize your work and collaborate with your team/client by creating a project in Harvest.
- Tasks - Create tasks, assign them to people, and even divide them into subtasks to break things down into more manageable chunks.
- Files - Keep all your work-related documents in one place for easy access by you and your team.
- Convo - Use this internal chat feature to ask questions or discuss things related to a specific task or project.
Project management features help make sure that everyone stays on the same page as projects progress.
4- Plan beneficial projects
- One of the most common issues freelance developers face is time management.
- Effective time management can help you to avoid that.
- Let’s explore some of the best time management strategies successful freelancers use every day to boost productivity and stay on top of their schedules.
- The right scheduling app will keep track of your tasks and projects, so you don’t have to.
- Taking short breaks can help restore your focus and boost your productivity.
- Productive freelancers appear to be masters of their craft, but they also know how to manage their schedule effectively.
- Whether you want to track expenses or plan better, a well-designed project management tool is a necessity for every freelance business.
5- Find the best software for you
The best time tracking software for you will depend on your needs. If you are looking for an easy-to-understand dashboard, then Time Doctor is a great choice. You can see your most productive days and times at a glance, so it's easy to see where you're spending your time.
If you want to track multiple projects simultaneously, Time Doctor might be the best option for you.
The software allows you to break projects down into smaller tasks, making it easier to manage multiple projects at once.
If you work on some tasks in different locations, then Time Doctor is also a good option since it offers mobile app support. You can check in on your tasks from anywhere with an internet connection.
Time Doctor also integrates with other apps like Google Drive and Dropbox so you'll always have access to your data when needed.
Another cool feature of this software is that it has customizable invoices and reports so you can easily share updates with clients or colleagues without having to worry about formatting issues or complicated templates that don't make sense for everyone involved (which happens often).
6- Timely time tracking
Working as a freelancer can be tough.
As a freelancer, you're responsible for everything from finding new clients to booking your own appointments and managing your time. It can sometimes be a challenge to stay on top of projects and know what's coming up and what you should be doing.
Part of being a successful freelancer is finding the tools that work for you. Make sure you have a plan in place for collecting payments from your customers.
Time tracking software can help with your freelance project management and make your life easier. Take advantage of today's technology and look into time tracking software today.
Being an independent contractor means that you are essentially in business for yourself. You may get paid by the hour or by the project, but regardless of how you get paid, it's important that you keep track of how much time you spend working on each task so that when tax season comes around, all of your expenses are accounted for and accounted for accurately!
7- Generating invoices and reports
When you're running a business, it's important to keep track of everything. That includes how much time your employees are spending on projects, how much money you're making, and how much money you're spending.
Time tracking software can help with all of these things. It can help you generate invoices, schedule automatic payments with clients, integrate your time tracker with your accounting software, create progress reports for clients, and manage multiple types of work on the same platform.
8- Keeping on top of your budget
- There are several different ways that you can keep on top of your budgeting.
- Tracking your income will be the first step in being able to make an effective budget.
- Knowing how much money is coming in every month is essential.
- You need to see how much money you are putting aside for taxes.
- You need to decide on something that is important to you, such as travel.
- Making a budget might mean adjusting the amounts of your income that you have allotted for certain things.
- Don't think that because you are saving and budgeting, you can't ever have fun.
- When it comes to spending money, it's always wise to think before you buy.
- Part of keeping on top of your budget is knowing what goals you should be setting.
- Having a good budget tracking system can help you make better decisions with your money.
Maintaining a sensible budget will keep your finances in order and allow for some splurging from time to time!
9- Pause when you hit a snag
When you first start out, it’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of working for yourself. But there are times when things don’t go as planned — and that’s okay!
The key to success as a freelancer is learning how to handle those moments when life throws you a curveball. Here are some tips that will help you stay on track:
A successful freelance business isn’t built overnight. Set the right expectations with your clients. Over-communicate at all times, even it means seeming bothersome.
Choosing your clients isn’t something to take lightly.
Take time to celebrate milestones big and small. Client relationships take work. Treat them like you’d treat any relationship in your life.
Give yourself a break when work gets overwhelming.
10- Setting goals and targets
You might be a working from home or a freelancer and you're juggling several projects. You need to know how much time you spend on each project and whether you're meeting your deadlines.
Time tracking software helps you track your time and bill your clients for the hours you worked.
Time tracking has been around for decades, but it's become more advanced over time. There are now hundreds of time-tracking tools available with different features and price points.
It's no longer just about entering the number of hours spent on a task — there are also apps that automatically log when you start working, when you stop working and how long it takes to complete a task.
Some tools also have features like timesheet management, invoice generation and productivity reports based on your activity levels throughout the day.
If you can use it to track your time, it's freelance time tracking software. And even if you are a designer or creative freelancer who relies heavily on their own abilities, there will still be times when you need an app to help you manage your project or clients.
Time is valuable and there are plenty of ways to waste our lives away in the day-to-day shuffle. The truly successful freelancers are the ones who learn how to manage their time effectively and use it wisely to advance towards their goals.